Director of Rehabilitation
Kathy Church, PTA, Rehab Director for Deer Park Health & Rehab, and Smoky Ridge Health & Rehab, employed in these buildings since 2003.
She has experience in a variety of settings including skilled nursing facilities- long term and short term rehab, hospital, inpatient, outpatient, and orthopedics.
Clinical management of patients with weakness and deconditioning associated with multiple health co-morbidities such as COPD, diabetes, and CHF, Parkinson’s, Stroke, Fall Prevention, Kinesiotaping, and pain management-acute and chronic.
She truly loves seeing the progress/outcomes patients make, and helping them be able to go back to the things they love!
Outside of work she enjoys spending time with her husband, daughter, and all their furbabies. Also, with family and friends she likes horseback riding, camping, kayaking, boating, and, traveling.
Angela Smith Occupational Therapist
Practicing for 15 years as an Occupational Therapist
Masters in Occupational Therapy from Boston University, Boston, MA. 9/25/2009
BS in Occupational Therapy from Lenoir-Rhyne Collage, Hickory, NC. 5/8/2004.
Specialized Certified Lymphedema Therapist:
• Specializes in breast Cancer and Upper Extremity Lymphedema and Pain Management, Head and Neck Lymphedema, Kinesiotaping for Lymphedema Management and Axillary Web Syndrome. Lymphedema of the lower extremities and abdominal edema. Certified to custom design and fit for compression garments for day, night, travel and head and neck garments. Have worked with surgeons on preparing the patient with lymphedema prevention prior to surgery with garments, measurements, and education. Work with multiple vendors to aid patients in the set-up of Pneumatic Compression Devices. Worked with surgeons with Post-Mastectomy/Lumpectomy Pain Management Program to decrease contractures, frozen shoulder, loss of arm use…
Accredited Therapist in Dolphin Neurostim Microcurrent Point Stimulation Therapy, An all natural drug-free pain relief, for the treatment of:
• Relieve Chronic and Acute Pain
• Relaxes Muscles
• Releases Fascia
• Releases Scars
• Increases ROM
• Decreases Nervous Tension
• Reduce Stress
• Regulate the Autonomic Nervous System
• Improves Circulation
• Accelerate Cellular Healing
• Duplicates AcupunctureSpecialized in Post-Offer Pre-Employment Testing, Training through Roy Matheson Education and Training Solutions, An important clinical-service bridge to employers as an injury prevention service.
• Trained to Perform Essential Function Job Analysis of Employees
• Trained to Set-up and Perform Post-Offer Pre-Employment Testing
Specialized in Level I & Level II Hippo-therapy, use of horses as a modality for therapeutic or rehabilitative treatment, especially as a means of improving coordination, balance, sensory, and strength.
Certified PATH Therapeutic Riding Instructor for emotionally and physically disabled using horses.
Areas of Clinical Expertise:
• Lymph edema
• Lymph edema Prevention Education prior to cancer treatment
• Post-Mastectomy/Lumpectomy Pain Management Program
• Hand Therapy
• Splinting the hand and UE
• Lymphedema Aquatic Therapy
• Aquatic Therapy
• Wheelchair Positioning
• Fall Prevention
• Axillary Web Syndrome
• Manual Lymphatic Drainage
• Instrument Assisted STM
• Kinesiotaping for Edema
• Feeding & Swallowing
• Adults with physical Disabilities
• Hippotherapy & Therapeutic Riding
• Adaptive Equipment Training for Orthopedics
• Yoga for Lymphedema
• Yoga for Geriatrics
• Yoga Graded for Physical Rehabilitation
• Clinical management of the patient with weakness and deconditioning associated with multiple health co-morbidities such as COPD, diabetes, and CHF.
Licensed Occupational Therapist
William Gaske is a licensed Occupational Therapist and has been working as a professional OT since 2015. He graduated from University of Saint Augustine with a Master’s in Occupational Therapy. He has worked in long term care and with the geriatric population for 4 years now. He looks to continue to his role as a therapist and make a positive impact on people’s lives. William Gaske resides in Asheville, NC with his girlfriend and two children.
Physical Therapist Assistant
Lester Minish has 6 years experience as a Physical Therapist Assistant working in a skilled nursing facility. He is a Christian from McDowell county and feels priviliged to be able to give back to his community by helping residents with their rehabilitation needs. He is married, has two boys and comes from a large family.
Katrina Ramsey started working in long term care as a rehab tech at Deer Park. She worked in the therapy department for four years and during that time she decided to pursue her degree to become an occupational therapist assistant. She has experience in home health and pediatrics as well. Katrina has a special interest in working with patients who have had a stroke and truly enjoys the personal relationships she develops with all of her patients. Outside of work, Katrina enjoys spending time with her family, the beach, spicy food and traveling.
Sofia Mironova, DPT
Doctor of Physical Therapy – Graduated in May, 2009 from George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia.
Specialize in Pain Management. Perform selected Integrative Manual Therapy (IMT) Techniques, joint mobilization, strain counter-strain techniques, selected myofascial release, capsular release, trigger point techniques, bone bruise, selected muscle energy techniques, soft tissue/neural tissue mobilization, craniosacral therapy techniques and MPS (Microcurrent Point Stimulation) Techniques.
Kim Thompson, CCC-SLP
Kim has a BA in Human Development and Family Studies from the University of Connecticut and an MS in Communication Disorders from Western Carolina University. She has a well rounded background having treated patients with needs regarding dysphagia, dementia, cognition, language, speech, voice, and the use of AAC devices. She is certified through the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA) and is a certified dementia practitioner. She has worked with adults in Western Carolina University’s clinic, an Aphasia clinic and other skilled nursing facilities.